Thursday, May 22, 2014

Tangle Free Headphones




I don't know about the rest of you, but when I'm done using my headphones, I simply throw them into my bag.  I don't take the time to carefully wrap them up and sure enough, they always manage to tangle themselves.  I spend a good number of minutes trying to untangle them before I give up and use them half-coiled.  Keeping cords thicker is a simple way to make sure they do not become tangled in your pocket or bag.  With this in mind, I've found a solution:  using thread to make a "friendship bracelet" around the headphone cord.  It makes them fun and colorful and cuts down on tangles.


What you'll need:

Headphones
Embroidery thread, colors of your choosing
Scissors
Clear nail polish (optional)




I chose three strands of embroidery thread, using my favorite colors.  I wanted multiple colors, but the more you have the more difficult they are to deal with.  When wrapping the thread, is recommended to use three times the length you're wrapping.  I started out using part of each skein (thread bundle), but ended up using the whole skein.


Starting with the main headphone cord, do a half-knot of thread around the headphones, keeping equal strand length on either side of the half-knot.  It might help to tape the end of the cord to the edge of a counter, table, chair, etc. to give it some tension.


You will then begin the "basic knot."  Grouping the threads by color, separate your first color on the left and group the other colors and the cord together.  Cross the left thread over the others, making a "4" shape; then wrap the thread under the rest and back up through the hole, pulling it tight.


I did about 10-12 loops of each color before switching, but you can choose how long you want each color to be.  When you've finished with your first color, simply pull the strands of your next color and do the same basic knot steps.


This next step is the reason I folded my string at the beginning and used two strands of each color thread.  When you reach the cord split, spit your strands so that you have two groups, with one of each color in a group.  Continue as you were before with the basic knot step on each earbud cord.


When you get to the end of your cords, tie a knot and cut the excess thread.  You can coat the ends of the thread with clear nail polish to keep them from fraying.


Now you have a colorful new pair of headphones that are fun and tangle free!






Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. Your article is very helpful for me. I will follow your instruction. Thank you.
    bracelet headphones tangle free

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a amazing idea to make headphones run longer.
    For Jobs in Sonipat visit us.
    Thank you sharing this idea with us

    ReplyDelete